Monday, March 06, 2006

Brussels Zepperen 1.13 U27


March 5, 2006
The next day after Vlaamse Pijl, we were heading out for our next race, Brussels Zepperen. The 147k race started out on a rolling 124k course taking us into the 4 X 6k circuits in the town of Zepperen. With a cobblestone section 15k from the start, it was from the gun like usual. The rain and snow mix that had been coming down all morning made the cobble nice and slick. It was the first effort of the race, and all our riders (Matt Crane, Zach Taylor, Ryan Keels, Chase Renick, and I) made it through unscathed. A break of about 20 riders got away after that section, so Crane and I were very active, following many moves. About 40k in, we hit another cobblestone section. What we were told to be 500 meters of ‘not bad’ cobbles, turned into 4k teeth rattling pave’. I told myself that this was my chance to bridge to the front group, so I drilled it over the whole section. When we came out, I was with a group of 4 riders chasing the driving break. After 5k of chasing our asses off, we finally made contact. A few other riders from behind made the front group as well and the race was split. The two top teams, Beveren and Davo, both had 5 riders in this front group of maybe 30 riders. To my misfortune, Crane and Keels just missed making it up to the group, so I was alone. All I could do it that point was sit at the back and hope for a group sprint.
We hit some gnarly crosswinds soon after and Beveren and Davo put it in the gutter. I was fighting for my spot in the echelon, and made it through without too much energy spent. With 20k to go before the circuits, the attacks started going. I had to be conservative, so I watched a break of 8 riders go up the road. Our group did a half ass chase because Davo and Beveren both had 2 riders in the break. We hit the circuits and we could see the break still, but they were pulling away. Our group had swarmed to about 50, so there was still a chance in it coming back. I gambled on that and just waited. Some flurries of attacks went and again I missed a chase group of maybe 10 riders. I had to hope the other teams in the group would chase them. On the final lap of the circuit there was still no chase, so I jumped with 8 other guys. It was good choice because the group just let us go. I was second in the sprint from our group at the finish. I finished 40th.

I was happy with the race for how my legs felt, but of course I was discouraged not to be more active at the front. There is a lot of gambling in these races (in terms of tactics) that has to be done as a sprinter. I hate watching the race go up the road, but you have to be aggressive and conservative if you want to win. Next week is Gent Ieper, which is a 1.12 Top Competition race. It’s one of our big races on the calendar this spring, so our team will be looking for an improved performance there. Hopefully my legs will continue to get stronger. Until next time…

No comments: