Saturday, August 26, 2006

Tour De La Port Ocean- France

Immediately following my last race, (which went extremely well for me and the team) I came down with some sweet congestion in my head and chest. Just perfect timing really. I mean what good is riding well if something can't come along and screw it all up. Anyhow, the doc recommended a 3 day dose of antibiotics after only 2 days of bronchitis symptoms.

Ok, so here I am now in in Normandie, France at the Port Ocean 2.12 stage race. I felt ok on Thursday, so I decided to make the trip and just see how I felt in the race. Friday morning I was coughing up a storm and I realized I might have made a mistake in coming. Well, 15k into the race that realization was confirmed. I was just following wheels and then BAM! It wasn't my bike or a crash or anything. It was my legs and chest. I couldn't turn the legs over anymore, and I felt like I was breathing out of a straw. And not one of those big straws you get with a smoothie or something, I would compare this more to one of those tiny straws you get sometimes to mix your coffee. So I had to get in the broom wagon less than 30 minutes into the race. If that's not an acheivement I don't know what is.

So now I'm stuck in my hotel room while my roommate Mike Wolf is out with the rest of the team ripping the race up. Yesterday Nick Reistad made the break, or front group considering it was 26 riders, and got 7th(Hell yeah). Today they have double day with a 100k stage in the morning and a TT this afternoon. But I'll be here in my little hotel room. Awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kodos for trying John. You know bronchitis killed Sir Frances Bacon in 1626. He stayed out in the ice and snow too long. Hes the father of the scientific method..

Anonymous said...

Cute Pillow

Anonymous said...

yeah, nice pillow